Challenged by the global epidemic of violence against children, leaders and members of the world’s religious and spiritual traditions, girls and boys, women and men, from 70 countries, together with representatives of governments, the United Nations, and international and grassroots organizations, met in Panama City, Panama for the GNRC Fifth Forum, from 9-11 May 2017.
The Fifth Forum saw the launch of the Panama Declaration of Ending Violence Against Children. The Panama Commitments aim to promote and eradicate any form of violence against children. The Fifth Forum reinvigorated and transformed the purpose of the GNRC members to reaffirm their moral imperative to protect children from harm, as enshrined in the teachings of all the world’s religious and spiritual traditions; and in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and its optional protocols. Since then, the GNRC has focused on the follow-up to the 10 commitments, in partnership with UN Agencies, regional intergovernmental and multilateral bodies, and other faith-based and non-governmental organizations.
Introduction to Panama Commitments:
- Dr. Mustafa Y. Ali, Secretary General Global Network of Religions for Children, GNRC, Arigatou International
- The Most Revd. Julio Murray, Bishop of Panama and Primate of the Anglican Church in the Central America Region
- Rabbi Diana Gerson, Associate Executive Vice President, The New York Board of Rabbis
- Rev. Harold Segura, Director, Faith and Development, World Vision Latin America, on behalf of the Alliance for the Protection of Children in Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico.
- Mons. Guy Charbonneau, Bishop Chaluteca, Honduras and Representative of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM), on behalf of the Alliance for the Protection of Children in Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Mexico
- Tamara, Mexico
- Sheikh Ibrahim Lethome, Secretary General, Centre for Sustainable Conflict Resolution, Kenya
- Mwanaidi, GNRC Tanzania
- Dr. Vinya Ariyaratne, President, Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement, Representing the International Consortium on Nurturing Values and Spirituality in Early Childhood
- Sanara, GNRC Sri Lanka
- Ms. Dana Humaid, Chief Executive, Interfaith Alliance for Safer Communities
- Bashar, GNRC Jordan
- Dr. Mustafa Y. Ali, Secretary General, Global Network of Religions for Children, GNRC
- Dr. Dorcas Kiplagat, GNRC Network and Programs Coordinator
Launch of SDGs Academy for Children:
- Rev. Fred Nyabera, Director End Child Poverty – Arigatou International
- Dr. Kezevino Aram, President, Shanti Ashram and Vice Chair, Advisory Group, Arigatou International
Wednesday 18, November 2020, at 14:00-15:30 GMT / 15:00-16:30 CET